Thursday, February 9, 2012

Kari's Purplies Jr. Design Team Project-Love-outside of box





Photobucket

This is my first Design Team Project for Kari’s Junior Purplies and you can find the complete Design Team projects at http://purplefuntastickcreations.blogspot.com/ . Her instructions were simple – we were to do a Love project and think out of the box and yes it can be anything paper related or home decor just don't do a card...along with trying to be different!

This is my project: Love-thinking outside of the box

Materials

Wooden Craft Frame
Coredination “Gemstones”, colorTurquoise
The Paper Studio, Black Glitter
The Paper Company, color Translucent Silver
Black Leather Jewelry Cord
Wooden mini clothespins
Me and My Great Ideas stamp set “Sassy”
Owl Stamps, Mother and Child
Orange Marker
Black Embossing Powder
Heat Gun
Ranger Alcohol Ink, Turquiose
EK Success Chalk Collection, Green
Martha Stewart Glitter Marker, Green
Spellbinders, Rose Creations
1/4 “ Satin Black Ribbon
1 “ Black Grossgrain Ribbon
Alphalicious Cricut Cartridge
Cricut Craft Room
After many options, ideas, I found a perfect fit.  I have to generate what I’m trying to get across in my projects before I can begin patterns, etc.  Especially as a gift.  It was a very timely challenge, as for everyday love, not particularly for Valentine’s Day, my thoughts go instantly to the love a mother has for her child.  It just so happened, I received the first ultrasound picture from my daughter’s first pregnancy, so I decided to create a frame for it to give to her and her husband.  Since there is no way of knowing whether it was a boy or girl, I opted for a color that would coordinate with either, and could easily be displayed in another part of the home if the nursery theme was different.  Again, not knowing the sex, I felt the embellishments needed to be appropriate.  A lot of people prefer unisex embellishment in this case. I think you can achieve an appropriate balance using a feminine embellishment with paired with something bold.  Once I covered the frame with the paper, and cut the appropriate center hole and secured with hot glue, I stamped this very thick flourish and heat embossed with glossy black powder adding a solid masculine counter to the delicacy of the silver translucent vellum flowers.  I’ve mixed distinguished, straight spiral roses with more flouncy ones cut from the Spellbinder die.  The silver roses were inked around the edges with Martha Stewart Green Glitter Marker.  The others, both spiral and die cut were colored with Ranger Alcohol Ink in Turquiose and the EK Success Chalk Collection-Green marker.  I love the effect both of these added.  (Although done on Silver vellum, I’m sure the result would be equally as nice on plain vellum.)  The center of one rose was embellished with an adhesive pearl.  I looped leather jewelry cord around the top of the frame twice to simulate a “clothesline” while sticking with the color theme.  My daughter loves owls, and as far as we know, that’s the only baby theme we have.we’re not sure if its boy owls or girl owls.so I stamped and heat embossed a mother and baby owl and cut them out.  I colored their beaks with an orange marker and adhered with 3-D Zots.  I cut out “a mother’s love” using the “Alphalicious” Cricut Cartridge and Cricut Craft Room to weld the letters and make the words.  I adhered them to acetate to give them a little durability and hanging flexibility while not distracting from the overall design.  I attached the words using mini-clothespins (found in the office supply section of Wal-Mart!)  I attached a 12” length of black grossgrain ribbon to the back with a staple gun and hot glue and attached a small hanging loop from the 1/4” ribbon.  Where the two met and the bow was tied, I added a few extra flowers to cover up the knot.

I’ve hope you enjoyed my project as much as I did making it!

My wonderful Junior Purplies team is:

Andrea Stradley-http://astateofgracie.blogspot.com/
Jackie Lodge- http://jackrabbitscrappin.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!
Lisa Woodward
There are NO crafting mistakes....just techniques that haven't been invented yet!"

3 comments:

  1. Love your frame, it is beautiful.
    I am so glad to be on the team with you.
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your grand baby's first pic. How exciting and amazing and just perfect for a 'love' project. Your frame is perfectly balanced and the little owls have the sweetest expressions. I'm thrilled to be on the DT with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Purplies. I love your project. The roses are beautiful and the owls are adorable. Look forward to seeing many more projects.

    ReplyDelete